This page lists my past conferences and presentations. Click here for upcoming events.
● Member, Scientific Committee, European Architectural History Network Second International Meeting, Brussels, 31 May-3 June 2012.
● Assistant coordinator (with Werner Oechslin and Anja Buschow), Geschichte und Theorie im Architekturunterricht, Drittes Architekturgespräch in der Bibliothek Werner Oechslin, Einsiedeln, 20-22 November 2009.
● Co-coordinator (with Giuseppe Dardanello, Henry A. Millon, and Werner Oechslin) of the 20th International Seminar on the History of Architecture, Guarino Guarini, of the Centro Internazionale di Studi di Architettura Andrea Palladio, Turin and Vicenza, 19-24 May 2002.
Conference Panel Organization (Selection)
● Piedmontese Baroque Architecture Studies Fifty Years On, conference roundtable, chair, European Architectural History Network Third International Meeting, Turin, June 2014. (proceedings)
● Maestri ticinesi, magistri grigioni: Swiss-Italian Architects and Craftsmen in Early Modern Europe, Italian Art Society two-part session at American Association of Italian Studies conference, organizer and co-chair, Zurich, May 2014.
● Memory, Identity, and Community in Architecture and Planning, conference open session, chair, European Architectural History Network Second International Meeting, Brussels, June 2012.
● Not the Jesuits: “Other” Counter-Reformational Architecture, conference session, co-chair with Denise Tamborrino (Bologna), 65th annual meeting of the Society of Architectural Historians, Detroit, April 2012.
Invited Lectures and Conference Presentations (Selection)
● “‘The First of the Congregation’: From the Tolentini towards a Theatinerarchitektur,” I Tolentini da convento a università, IUAV Venice, June 2017.
● Discussant for presentation by Joseph Connors, “Il Barocco in Italia visto dall’estero. Le mostre di architettura,” Fortuna del Barocco in Italia: le grandi mostre del Novecento, Fondazione 1563 per l’Arte e la Cultura della Compagnia di San Paolo, Turin, November 2016. (videos of conference)
● “Inside Out: Situating the Theatine Interior,” Perceptions of Architecture in Early Modern Europe, Durham University, November 2016.
● “Wittkower and the Study of Architectural Drawings,” joint presentation with Tod Marder, Bernini Disegnatore: Nuove Prospettive di Ricerca, Bibliotheca Hertziana and Istituto Storico Austriaco, Rome, April 2015.
● Respondent for medieval and early modern presentations in poster session with emerging Belgian scholars, European Architectural History Network Second International Meeting, Brussels, June 2012.
● “The Palazzo Ducale in Turin: Royal Emulations and Aspirations,” IUAV, Venice, June 2009.
● “Architecture and Mathematics in Early Modern Religious Orders,” Geometrical Objects: Architecture and the Mathematical Sciences 1400-1800, Museum of the History of Science and Worcester College, University of Oxford, March 2007.
● “Geometry in Guarini’s Church Plans: Theory, Practice and Scholarship,” Inchiostro opaco. Da Leon Battista Alberti a Louis Kahn, seminar organized by the Istituto Italiano per gli Studi Filosofici and the Istituto Universitario di Architettura di Venezia, Rome, September 2002.
● “Guarini’s formazione,” “A Devotional Source for the Iconography of Guarini’s San Gaetano, Vicenza,” as well as several on-site presentations, 20th International Seminar on the History of Architecture, Guarino Guarini, of the Centro Internazionale di Studi di Architettura Andrea Palladio, Turin and Vicenza, May 2002.
● “La cappella ducale di San Lorenzo,” Torino, Parigi, Madrid: politica e cultura nell’età di Carlo Emanuele I, Archivio di Stato, Turin, February 1995.
● “Guarino Guarini and an Unpublished Drawing for San Gaetano, Vicenza,” The Italian Architectural Drawing in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries, Colloquium at the American Academy in Rome, June 1989.
Selected Conference Presentations
● “Architectural Training in Early Modern Religious Orders,” Autodidakten, Werkstätten, Akademien – Architektenausbildung 1400 – 1850, 6. Architekturtheoretisches Kolloquium der Stiftung Bibliothek Werner Oechslin, Einsiedeln, April 2017. (poster)
● “Vitruvius and Pious Learning,” Aspects of Vitruvius’s Reception: New Research in Architectural Practice and Theory in the Early Modern World, College Art Association 102nd Annual Conference, Chicago, February 2014.
● “Architecture in Early Modern Jesuit Mathematics Publications,” Teaching and Publishing Mathematics and Science in the Society of Jesus in Early Modern Europe, Workshop at the Interdisciplinary Centre for Science and Technology Studies (IZWT), Bergische Universität Wuppertal, June 2013.
● “Fear and Loathing in Turin,” Affekt und Wirkung, 13. Internationaler Barocksommerkurs der Stiftung Bibliothek Werner Oechslin, Einsiedeln, June 2012.
● “‘It’s all been done already’: Recentism, Temporal Parochialism, and Architectural History,” Welche Geschichte?, Fünftes Architekturgespräch in der Bibliothek Werner Oechslin, Einsiedeln, November 2011.
● “Guarini’s Modo di misurare le fabriche Between Theory and Practice,” EAHN First International Meeting, Guimarães, Portugal, June 2010.
● “Wren and Guarini: Souvenirs of Paris 1665,” British Architecture Seen from Abroad, SAHGB-EAHN Annual Symposium, London, May 2009.
● “Architecture and Mathematics in Early Modern Religious Orders,” Quantification in Early Modern Architectural Design and Drawing, Society of Architectural Historians Annual Meeting, Vancouver, April 2005.
● “Marian Cults and Buildings as Relics: The Cult of Altötting, the Theatines in Prague, and Guarini’s Design for Oropa,” Fifth International Baroque Summer Course, Barock und Religion, of the Stiftung Bibliothek Werner Oechslin, Einsiedeln, July 2004.
● “Guarini in Paris: Cultural Assimilation and Cultural Criticism at Sainte-Anne-la-Royale,” Architecture and Cultural Identity, 1400-1750, Society of Architectural Historians Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, April 1994.
● Re | Visiting Piedmontese Baroque Architecture, two-day post-conference study tour, co-leader with Edoardo Piccoli and Giuseppe Dardanello (with the assistance of Roberto Caterino and Walter Leonardi), European Architectural History Network Third International Meeting, Turin, June 2014.