● Columbia University, Department of Art History and Archaeology: M.A. (1985), M.Phil. (1987), Ph.D with distinction (1993)
Dissertation: Guarino Guarini’s Theatine Architecture
● Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität, Münster: two semesters, 1982-1983
Courses in art history and German literature
● Kalamazoo College: B.A. magna cum laude (Art History and Mathematics), with Honors in Art History (1982)
Phi Beta Kappa (1982)
Semester abroad: Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität, Bonn (winter semester 1980-81)
My work has been supported by fellowships from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, the American Academy in Rome, the Mrs. Giles Whiting Foundation, the J. Paul Getty Foundation, and the Fondazione CRT.
McKim, Mead & White, American Academy in Rome, 1911-1914
Photograph: Wikimedia Commons
While completing my dissertation, I taught Art Humanities at Columbia University for two years as a preceptor (instructor of record). More recently I served as scientific consultant for a dissertation in the Dipartimento di Studi Storico-artistici, Archeologici e sulla Conservazione at Università degli Studi Roma Tre (now Dipartimento di Studi Umanistici), including participation as an outside expert on the department’s annual doctoral examination committee in April 2011.
I have been actively involved in the establishment of the European Architectural History Network (EAHN, founded in late 2005) in the following capacities:
● Member, EAHN Committee (Board of Directors), 2006-present
● Founding Editor, EAHN Newsletter, 2007-2010
● Board of Advisors, EAHN Newsletter, 2011-2012
● Honorary Member, 2014
I also serve as Consulting Director (2013-present) for the Early Modern Architecture platform.
Peer Reviewer / Referee
● Referee for the Italian National Agency for the Evaluation of Universities and Research Institutes (ANVUR: Agenzia Nazionale di Valutazione del Sistema Universitario e della Ricerca):
● GEV 08, ICAR/18, (VQR 2004-2010), 2013.
● GEV 08a & GEV 10, (VQR 2011-2014), 2016.
● Journals: Architectural Histories, Res Mobilis
● College Art Association
● European Architectural History Network
● Italian Art Society
● Society of Architectural Historians